Yesterday I wrote about the fact that my spark had gone out and that I need to relight my fire. It got me to wondering, outside of full-fledged clinical depression of course, if a person could turn the tide of their life and reignite their passion for their living simply by starting to place emphasis on the things that are core to them. Could small, seemingly inconsequential little nothings add up to a renewed vigor? Could music and exercise and nail painting and tea drinking and candle lighting and quiet time and dog snuggling and prolonged hugging really turn things around?
Being that I’m currently in a position of easily talking myself out of doing anything that is not absolutely essential to my existence (cooking/eating paleo has remained throughout although the joy is lacking) I didn’t want to make a schedule or a calendar and declare that I had to do certain things to make myself feel better. I simply want to try and inject passion into the things that are me, every day. My passion. My love. My drive.
And so begins My Passion Experiment. So what are the “rules”? haha….if you know me at all you know that I love rules…I thrive with rules.
The rules are pretty basic:
- Do not drift.
- Do not languish.
- Do not settle.
- Do the things that make you happy.
- Do the things that make you feel pretty.
- Do the things that bring relaxation to your whole body.
- Do the things that bring the good endorphins.
- Do the things that make you respect yourself when you lay your head on the pillow at night.
- While “do”ing, experience the moment, embrace the activity, whatever it is.
- Immerse yourself into right now.
- Discard loud.
- Banish negative. (including the shit you say to yourself)
- Dismiss harsh.
That’s it. That’s My Passion Experiment. There is no finish line, no measurement of success, no prize at the end. Just a way to get through the darkness that life has a way of circling around. A way to embrace the simplicity of every day. A way to place real emphasis on what I value.
I’d love to hear how you keep the passion in your every day. How you turn darkness back into light. How you shutter out gray and black. How you nurture your true self when time, energy and passion is lacking.