Lesson Learned

This weekend feels like it flew by!
Friday afternoon Ray texted me and asked if, instead of going to the RV Show (that I didn’t want to go to in the first place), would I like to ride our motorcycles out to Steveston (a little beach town around an hour from our house) and have dinner.  Um, YES!  We went for fish & chips, I just had mine grilled instead of breaded and fried.  Not the best choice, nutritionally, but part of an overall awesome outing.  After our meal we walked along the main street and stopped in for a coffee at Rocanino Coffee Roasters.  Our ride home was a bit dusky and a little cool but well worth it!

Beautiful beach side coffee shop!

Saturday morning I had a little life lesson that, as with all good life lessons, I wasn’t really expecting.  I got up at 6:30am and changed into my gym clothes.  As I was getting my gym bag together I was grumbling the entire time.  I didn’t want to go to the gym, it was gorgeous and mild outside with a bit of sunshine, I wanted to wake Ray up, put on a pot of coffee and go for a nice early morning walk together.  But, alas, my plan was to go to the gym.  So, into the car, down the street, complaining halfway to the gym about how this sucks and I wish that I could have just done a morning walk.  And then, at a red light, it hit me.  I am an ADULT.  If I would rather go for a refreshing am walk with my honey instead of hitting the gym, then do it!  There is enough in life that we do because we have to, why add to the pile? It’s not like I wanted to go home and eat a tub of ice cream while watching trash TV, I wanted to go for a walk in the spring morning air with my man.  Ya.  So I turned around and drove home, pried Ray out of bed and we did just that….and it was lovely.
After our walk I got ready and headed to my sister’s house where I helped her pack for a few hours.  Part of the packing deal was that I would take an old outdoor cabinet off of her hands so that she didn’t have to find someone to take it or someway to get rid of it.  It has 100+ year old barn board on the top of it and made a perfect addition to our veranda in the front.  It’s now a garden cabinet adding style to necessary outdoor storage. 

The top will host some shade loving flowers and the inside is packed with all of my gardening tools, pots, gloves etc.

Saturday after we’d finished our chores it was the much loved “driveway beer time”.  It was so warm out that neither of us wanted to go inside.  Driveway time extended beyond dusk before we finally cleaned up and went inside for dinner.

The combo of the pink crocs and the pink striped socks is......something!

Sunday morning was lazy, I slept until 9:30 and then laid on the sofa until 10:30.  Totally unusual for us to waste away that much morning but it felt good and relaxing.  We ran out for some groceries and then went to Wendy’s for lunch.  I had their chicken BLT salad….not bad…a bit salty though.  And nothing in comparison to the salad I made myself for lunch on Saturday.  It was mixed greens, radish, pepper, walnuts, avocado and some fresh shrimp tossed in a creamy balsamic vinagarette.  So delicious!
Anyway, the rest of Sunday we puttered around in the yard, I turned over a bit more of my garden and stripped the paint off of my wagon project.  Ray painted the deck of our utility trailer and then changed the spark plugs in his truck.  We planned to have another driveway beer after our jobs were done.  Ray loaded some of our cardboard for recycling into his truck and was going to run up the kilometer to the recycling place so he could test the work he’d done on the truck and get an errand done.  20 minutes later he finally arrived back home where he told me that he’d given himself a concussion and blacked out while tossing the recycling.  Apparantly he smoked his head on the lid of the dumpster and blacked out.  He says he didn’t knock himself all the way out, just got a good dimming and saw stars.  When he came home and got out of the truck I knew that something had happened, he looked like he had just woken up and like maybe he was going to puke.  He seems to be fine now….he’s had concussions from playing hockey in the past so he could tell it was just a mild one.  Nonetheless he had ice to the head and I watched him the rest of the evening.  This morning he was up and gone to work so I presume he’s fine.

Ray painting the trailer...and a little sneak peak of the wagon!

That’s about it.  Tonight my esthetician is coming over right after work and then I think after dinner we’re going to head into the valley for Ray to buy gas.  I would like to go for a long walk as well (I skipped the gym this morning, more on that later) but I’m not sure we’ll have time to do it all by the time my waxist leaves and we make and eat dinner.
Tonight I’m making Sausage & Spinach Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms for dinner.  I’m excited to try it!  Tomorrow the rain comes and is sticking around for awhile so maybe I’ll get around to cleaning our house this week.  That would be nice although I’d rather the house stayed dirty and the sun stayed shining!
I’ll leave you with a final picture, it’s a Bleeding Heart bush.  I’ve wanted one of these for over 20 years….since I was 13 years old and my step mom had a huge one on the side of her house.  This is the first year for mine and it’s gorgeous!

3 thoughts on “Lesson Learned

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s